For most of us in 2016, coffee is an important part of every day- practically a food group. As good and satisfying as that cup of Java may be, we often worry about how it negatively affects our teeth and smile. There is good news and bad news. Yes, coffee does stain teeth, but the good news is that coffee has benefits as well.
Benefits of Coffee:
- Boosts metabolism promoting weight loss: coffee also helps fat cells breakdown the body fat.
- Protects the liver from damage
- Reduces the risk of diabetes by lowering the body’s insulin sensitivity
- Develops high chlorogenic acid when the beans are roasting
- Contains antioxidants which helps prevent sickness
- Prevents bone loss in the teeth and jaw
- Has antibacterial properties protecting gums and teeth
- Helps physical performance (by more than 10% when a cup of coffee is consumed an hour before workout) by increasing adrenaline levels.
- The high levels of caffeine help reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia, as well as Parkinson’s disease
- Coffee has stimulants that brighten the mood by boosting neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, and therefore fights and decreases depression
Negatives of Coffee:
- Can cause insomnia
- Stains teeth by sinking into the small holes, ridges, and cracks in enamel: when possible, drink coffee through a straw to decrease the amount of tooth surface touched by the coffee
- Soften enamel, so wait at least thirty minutes before brushing teeth to avoid any possible enamel damage. It is also recommended that you rinse your mouth with water following coffee consumption.
- Can have negative effects if you have high cholesterol
- Overconsumption of caffeine isn’t good for the body, so attempt to keep daily consumption within 4-6 cups!
If your teeth are already stained, come on in to visit Dr. Sid Solomon, DDS. We have multiple options for teeth whitening, including a one hour in office treatment, and a set of trays that you use at home! Finally, not only can you stop feeling guilty when you consume a cup of coffee, but you can thank yourself!